Computational mechanics applied to the simulation of vehicle impacts against road barriers and obstacles. Support in both the study and design phases and in the verification phases of complex mechanical structures.
AISICO is able to carry out the study, development and verification of structures subject to dynamic loads and to solve – in HyperWORKS® environment and LS-DYNA® software – complex problems through stable numerical models and experimentally correlating both the behavior of the structures to design loads and their response to dynamic and impulsive stresses. This results in a significant reduction in product development costs, minimizes the number of experimental tests, and significantly reduces time-to-market and thus commercialization.
2010: Start of FEM Numerical Simulations activity.
2018: AISICO is the first in Europe to obtain the UNI CEI EN ISO/IEC 17025 accreditation for Numerical Simulations according to the standard (ex Pr EN16303:2018 now UNI EN 16303:2020)
The computational mechanics services provided by AISICO address multiple areas and are applicable to different types of products:
1. Road infrastructure level
- safety barriers, terminals, impact attenuators, motorcyclist protection devices, lighting poles, signage supports, bridge pier protection and parapets;
2. Road safety level
- analysis of road restraint devices, solutions for the protection of singular points, lighting poles with programmed energy absorption, integrated structures for acoustic insulation;
- verification of the behavior of barriers tested and modified according to Appendix A of UNI EN 1317-5:2012, in order to obtain certificates of conformity.
- verification of road safety barriers in impact conditions different from those provided for by the standards in force concerning experimental tests;
- verification of the restraint systems in installation conditions different from those of the crash tests
- analysis and verification of transitions between road barriers, according to UNI EN 1317-3:2010;
- study of solutions for the restoration of road safety barrier installations;
- evaluation of the severity of an impact through the estimation of impact severity indices such as ASI (Acceleration Severity Index), THIV (Theoretical Head Impact Velocity), HIC (Head Injury Criterion), OIV (Occupant Impact Velocity) and ORA (Occupant Ridedown Acceleration) even under conditions other than those specified in EN 1317-2: 2010;
- verification of the level of the support structure’s passive safety for road equipment.
3. Anti-terrorism systems
- assistance in all phases of analysis, sizing of individual components, verification of the most suitable materials and the ability to contain the impact;
- evaluation of the main biomechanical indices during an impact, study of the dynamics of passengers inside a vehicle during an impact, simulation of pedestrian-vehicle impacts;
- detailed mechanical analysis, verification and structural optimization of individual components (boxes, bogies and furniture) or entire wagons, with the help of static and dynamic analysis as virtual crash tests;
- optimization of individual components of the entire vehicle, choice of innovative materials and analysis of the comfort of the passenger compartment.